Hi Martin 

Problem 1 is sorted. Thanks.

Re problem 2, the issue is memory (or lack thereof). My mac only has two gigs 
of memory and I think the splitting of these limited resources when compiling 
with -j2 makes the process very slow but does eventually get there. The easy 
answer is to buy more memory. 

Thanks for your quick response 

Best
Andrew


On 10.12.2010, at 14:57, Martin Kronbichler wrote:

> Dear Andrew,
> 
>> Problem (1):
>> occurs when  compiling using two cores and relates to tbb. 
>> 
>> The output from the build-test-log is:
>> 
>> =====function parser==optimized==MT== fparser.cc
>> Created 
>> /Users/andrewmcbride/lib/deal_svn_test/deal.II/lib/contrib/tbb/macos_intel64_gcc_cc4.2.1_os10.6.5_release
>>  and ..._debug directories
>> make[6]: *** No rule to make target 
>> `/Users/andrewmcbride/lib/deal_svn/deal.II/contrib/tbb/tbb30_104oss/./src/tbb/concurrent_hash_map.cpp',
>>  needed by `concurrent_hash_map.o'.  Stop.
>> make[5]: *** [tbb] Error 2
>> make[4]: *** [tbb] Error 2
>> make[3]: *** [tbb] Error 2
>> make[2]: *** [contrib] Error 2
>> make[1]: *** [build-test-do] Error 2
> 
> I think I had this problem some time ago. It is related to the recent
> update to tbb 3.0, where some old directories from tbb 2.2 are not
> completely deleted. Can you try to remove the tbb files in lib (i.e.,
> "rm -r lib/contrib/tbb"), run "svn update" and then compile again? It
> could also be that you need to remove contrib/tbb (the source directory)
> and run svn up, I don't remember exactly what I had to do.
> 
>> Problem (2)  occurs when compiling with a single core. The compilation
>> process appears to get stuck at this point:
>> 
>> =====deal.II==========debug======MT== Linking library:   libdeal_II.g.dylib
>> ======================optimized==MT== numerics/data_out.cc
>> 
>> It's strange as the debug version of data_out seems to compile without
>> hassles. When I say stuck, I mean it has not made progress beyond this
>> point in over an hour.
> 
> Here I have no good advice. Have you checked whether the CPU is busy all
> the time? numerics/data_out.cc is the file that takes most system memory
> to compile (1.2G on my 64 bit Linux system), so it could be a swap
> problem. But it might also be a bug in the compiler when you need too
> much memory. I don't think we recently made any substantial change in
> numerics/data_out.cc other than the one-file-for-all-dimensions that
> could make trouble. Can you compile all the other files in optimized
> mode (to test, just rename source/numerics/data_out.cc to a file with an
> extension different from .cc)?
> 
> Best,
> Martin
> 

_______________________________________________
dealii mailing list http://poisson.dealii.org/mailman/listinfo/dealii

Reply via email to