Dear ?,

dealii::IndexSet::ElementIterator::operator*() returns the stored
global_dof_index [1].
Therefore, all you have to do is to dereference index:

dealii::types::global_dof_index gdi = *index

Best,
Daniel

[1]
https://www.dealii.org/8.4.1/doxygen/deal.II/classIndexSet_1_1ElementIterator.html#a6218ab9e8e76699fc998834bf8e006ee