Deepak,

I am aware of the fact that ConstraintMatrix.n_constraints() gives the
> number of hanging nodes for h-refinement, but if I only use p-refinement,
> can it give the number of hanging support points occurring due to the
> difference in the order of bases between two adjacent elements? I am
> expecting this based on the description of the hp-refinement document.
>
> I have been trying this but always get 0 hanging support points, although
> I know that the some elements of the mesh use Q1, others Q2.

That sounds definitely strange. step-27 uses a hp::DoFHandler and
make_hanging_node_constraints. Do you see that constraints are created
there?
If you can't find a solution looking at that example program, can you
reduce your code to a minimal example showing that no constraints are
created for p-refinement?

Best,
Daniel