Hi,

I guess it's more a question of preference. What I do is using the same
vector type as the matrix type: PETSc matrix -> PETSc vector, Trilinos
matrix -> Trilinos vector, matrix-free -> deal.II vector. deal.II vector
can use multithreading unlike PETSc vector but if you are using MPI, I
don't think that you will see a big difference.

Best,

Bruno