Hi Dustin,

Thanks for your file. This is indeed a bug in deal.II. Our algorithms for copying the sparsity pattern contain a part that scales quadratically in the number of rows in case most of the rows are empty, as is the case with some of your sparsity patterns. This is very bad if there are many rows. When using a patch, the run time in release mode of copy_sparsity_pattern goes from over 20s on my machine to 0.328s. A patch addressing this issue has been published on the deal.II site:

https://github.com/dealii/dealii/pull/3040

Best,
Martin