Chenchen,

> Second, for "#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=x", no matter what the value x is, the
> error always exists.
But this is not running across multiple nodes. You are only using one
node, so this the same as running the code on your laptop. What
happens if you try running the code with only one processor (x=1).

> Third, I don't know what is batch mode (forgive me). In my own laptop, I
> directly use cmake ., make, mpirun -np 4 ./step-17 to run a job. How can you
> see it is batch mode and could you please tell me how should I modify it?
batch mode is when you need a script to run the code. On your laptop,
you only need to use cmake ., make once. After that you can run the
code as many times as you want. You can do the same on your cluster.
You compile the code (cmake ., make) and then, you run the code by
putting it in the queue.

Best,

Bruno