> auto.cxx(5) (col. 11): internal error: assertion failed

Lovely internal compiler error!

> PS this is only a problem with Intel 15; it's solved in 16. Unfortunately
> our software stack is complete for 15 and updating to 16 or 17 is slow....

This error is fine to have inside CmakeError I think. We are doing
  ENABLE_IF_SUPPORTED(DEAL_II_CXX_FLAGS_DEBUG "-gdwarf-2")
which compiles this test program, it fails, so we disable that flag.

Does cmake run through to the end? Any errors reported? Can you
compile the library?

--
Timo Heister
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~heister/