Sudarshan,

J-P is right. You can use constraints within the MeshWorker framework and
hence also periodic boundary conditions.
In more detail, you have to provide the assembler with the
ConstraintMatrix. In addition to step-45 for periodic boundary conditions,
you should also have a look to step-16
[1] (LaplaceProblem<dim>::assemble_system ()) for using constraints with
MeshWorker.

Best,
Daniel

[1] http://www.dealii.org/8.4.1/doxygen/deal.II/step_16.html