Thanks, I understand now.

I just deleted the post, because I misunderstood what you meant earlier.
I thought you are refering to the left eps_phi_i (first) and right
eps_phi_j (second).

But you were talking about:

template <int dim> inline SymmetricTensor<2,dim> get_strain (const
std::vector<Tensor<1,dim> > &grad)

This function differs of course since it computes the strain based on the
displacement gradients. This version I already computed, as I mentioned
before.
I thought maybe you have some procedure to store the last converged
displacements so we can use them for the computation of strains within the
assembly routine.
This seems not easily possible due to the structure of deal.II. From what I
understood we have to solve first before obtaining the "physical" strains.

Kind regards,
S. A. Mohseni