Dear Pasha,

At first glance, it would appear that there is a further
ConstraintMatrix::distribute_local_to_global
<https://www.dealii.org/8.4.1/doxygen/deal.II/classConstraintMatrix.html#abb200737fa0b9b2803c8e46c93fb82f2>

function designed with this in mind. It takes in the local_matrix but
doesn't assemble it into a global_matrix, which is assumed to already be
assembled.

Regards,
Jean-Paul