Dear Thomas,

Exactly, I did that already. It seems it is identical, but I would like to
see, if your energy variable psi_e is identical to mine. This is quite
cumbersome for 500 elements or more to check. I mean the computation in the
first steps is anyway independent from the phase-field value due to being
in the elastic regime and the body has not been fractured yet. So, I assume
it should not be a problem to just check the energy within the first steps.
Of course you are right, the moment we reach the fracture toughness G_c
cracks will start to grow and we have to separate between crack energy and
bulk energy.

I cite your paper ;)

The results illustrate the expected behavior: as long as the crack does not
grow (up to t = 0.0095 s), there is only an increase in bulk energy. Once
the crack starts growing, bulk energy is dissipated into crack energy.

By the way Thomas, if you don't remember me, we already met after your GACM
2015 conference presentation and within the GAMM phase-field workshop :)
Maybe you remember: Back then you already mentioned that h < epsilon to
resolve the transition of the phase-field variable. Nevertheless, this is
true for the cracked region, but if you have only elastic case the mesh
size will not matter. This is just to allow a correct and accurate
resolution and regularization of the phase-field crack region.

Kind regards,
S. A. Mohseni