Hi Wolfgang, thank you for your reply.

I've had another look at the functions available and i'm stuck on how to
implement these in this case.

The whole point of not imposing zero for all components in a Dirichlet
sense is that I am testing for a case where I have inhomogeneous normal
component of the normal stress, with the tangential stress being zero on
some boundaries. On some boundaries, I have zero normal flux and zero
tangential stress but I'm pretty sure this doesn't amount to the actual
components being zero anyway.

Can you suggest a way to implement this if I algorithmically, what I was
doing previously wouldn't work?

Thank you - I will keep having a look mathematically if there is some
manipulation I might be able to do.

Many thanks