Hi Bruno -

Thank you for your fast reply. I'm sorry I'm not doing a great job of
explaining this. Here is an example from elasticity that illustrates what I
would like:
In this case there are displacement degrees of freedom at the nodes but the
stress is a quantity typically derived from the displacements. However, one
could make the stress an independent degree of freedom at the gauss points.

So, in the element there would be displacement degrees of freedom at the
nodes and stress degrees of freedom at the gauss points. Does this make
sense?

Thank you again,
Jonathan