Jonathan,

> Thank you for your fast reply. I'm sorry I'm not doing a great job of
> explaining this. Here is an example from elasticity that illustrates what I
> would like:
> In this case there are displacement degrees of freedom at the nodes but
> the stress is a quantity typically derived from the displacements. However,
> one could make the stress an independent degree of freedom at the gauss
> points.
>
> So, in the element there would be displacement degrees of freedom at the
> nodes and stress degrees of freedom at the gauss points. Does this make
> sense?

I don't think there is a way to do that in deal unless you can split your
finite elements, i.e., you have one FE_Q for the displacement and another
FE_Q for the stress. Then, you can use FESystem. But do I understand
correctly that the stress is not describe by any finite element but you
would like to use dof_handler to help you manage some data. In that case, I
think that using a FESystem should work, you just will never call FEValues
for the stress since you don't care about the associated finite element but
the dof_handler will associate a degree of freedom to each quadrature point.

Best,

Bruno