Bruno -

Thank you for your help. I see what you are saying. In this way I would
need to make sure I have the same number of gauss points as nodes in the
finite element since deal.II will assume that the stress degrees of freedom
are associated with the nodes. For now I don't believe this is too strict
of a limitation for me since I will likely choose the quadrature rule such
that the number of quadrature points is equal to the number of nodes
anyways. Perhaps there is a better way to handle this situation but I will
try this for now. Thanks again!

Jonathan