On 03/07/2018 08:43 AM, Jonathan Russ wrote:

Thank you for your fast reply. I'm sorry I'm not doing a great job of explaining this. Here is an example from elasticity that illustrates what I would like: In this case there are displacement degrees of freedom at the nodes but the stress is a quantity typically derived from the displacements. However, one could make the stress an independent degree of freedom at the gauss points.

If all you're interested in is values at quadrature points (and not any associated "field"), then you may also want to take a look at the CellDataStorage and related classes. They were written with your specific application in mind, including the need to transfer data from one cell to its children or parents upon mesh refinement, and to other processors upon partitioning of the mesh.

Best
 W.