In addition what Wolfgang said:

1. It would be indeed interesting to
    see whether neglecting z_h really yields
    the same error, the same effectivity indices,
    and/or the same mesh.

2. Going back to your initial questions:
    Inserting z_h is the key when classical
    a posteriori bounds in terms of the mesh size h
    are of interest.

    The final goal is usually to obtain an error estimate
    in terms of the mesh size h in order to
    quantify the order of convergence of your scheme.

    For this reason you need to insert z_h such that

    || z - z_h||

    to apply interpolation estimates that give you
    some h^{a} on the right hand side:

    || z-z_h || = O(h^a)

    with the order a.

3. In practice you have indeed different choices
    how to evaluate J(u) - J(u_h).

    Also some people do not integrate back
    into the strong form and work
    with a weak form of the error estimator, which
    has the advantage that no second-order operators
    and partial integration needs to be applied.

    From this point of view, it may be that neglecting
    z_h could work in practice. But as said above,
    a careful study for some model problems
    would be useful.

Best Thomas W.

--