Hi Daniel

Thank you for your help!

The code below suggests that you want to constraint all degrees of freedom.
> Is this really what you intend? If so, it might be better to just
> interpolate the values using VectorTools::interpolate
> <https://www.dealii.org/8.5.0/doxygen/deal.II/namespaceVectorTools.html#a05db6c8cebf924b417dd92f525efe3db>.

Yes, I want to constrain the velocity of the fluid in a certain region. The
problem arises in my fluid-structure interaction code using immersed finite
element method where I want to interpolate the solid velocity to the fluid
grid which is overlapped with the solid as Dirichlet BCs. I find the
to-be-constrained region on the fly as the solid moves. Since the dofs to
be constrained are not on the actual boundary and are constantly changing,
I can't use VectorTools::interpolate.

> Don't rely on any particular order and use the whole finite element
> instead of just the first base element in your code! To find out if a
> degree of freedom corresponds to the velocity FiniteElement you can then
> call system_to_component_index
> <https://www.dealii.org/8.5.0/doxygen/deal.II/classFiniteElement.html#a27220a135402b96c7e6eecbb04acda56>
> .
> The problem with the approach above is that there (probably?) is no
> DoFHandler that is responsible for the velocity degrees of freedoms alone.
> Hence, a cell iterator (based on a DoFHandler) can only give you the global
> degrees of freedoms
> for all the components at the same time. By using
> system_to_component_index you can then decide which to use.

Following the idea you described, I came up with the following code, but
something went wrong...
//////////////////////////////////////////////
const vector<Point<dim>>& unit_points = fe.get_unit_support_points(); //
the size should be equal to dofs_per_cell
Quadrature<dim> dummy_q(unit_points.size());
MappingQGeneric<dim> mapping(1);
FEValues<dim> dummy_fe_values(mapping, fe, dummy_q,
update_quadrature_points);
std::vector<types::global_dof_index> dof_indices(fe.dofs_per_cell); // need
this to find the global dof index

for (auto cell = dof_handler.begin_active(); cell != dof_handler.end();
++cell)
{
  dummy_fe.reinit(cell);
  *cell->get_dof_indices(dof_indices); // querying all the global indicies
associated with this cell*
  for (unsigned int i = 0; i  < unit_points.size(); ++i)
  {
    // fe is defined as FESystem(FE_Q<dim>(degree+1), dim,
FE_Q<dim>(degree), 1)

*       auto index = fe.system_to_component_index(i); // find the component
number and base number of current dof i    if (index.first < dim) // Is
this the correct method to tell if the dof i is a velocity dof rather than
a pressure dof??*
    {
      Point<dim> mapped_point = mapping.transform_unit_to_real_cell(cell,
unit_points[i]); // get the real coordinates
      Vector<double> value = f(mapped_point); // Calculate (interpolate)
the constrained value which is a *vector*

      // set the inhomogeneity constraints on the velocity
      *auto line = dof_indices[i]; // I think this is the global dof number
corresponding to dof i*
      constraints.add_line(line);
      *constraints.set_inhomogeneity(**line, value[index.first]); // the
component number should be the correct velocity component to constrain *
    }
  }
}
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
I think the logic should be good, but I might have misunderstood the return
value of system_to_component.. Please let me know if you can see the error.

> No, as far as I know we don't support writing the results as 2nd order
> elements. The approach we take instead is to split a cell into several
> (most of the time degree^dim) using DataOut::build_patches(degree) to
> obtain a linear interpolation of the correct order.

I can't believe I did not know DataOut::build_patches can do this trick!
This is exactly what I need!

Thank you
Jie