Dear Prof. Wolfgang Bangerth,

> In that case, it is not enough to only pin the displacements at
> one vertex of your domain. That kills the translation mode. But you still
> need
> to kill the rotation mode as well, which is one additional degree of
> freedom
> in 2d (for a total of 3) and 3 more degrees of freedom in 3d (for a total
> of 6).

Your comment is very exact and helpful!

I found two ways to constrain several dofs (as you mentioned, at least 3
dofs in 2D) for my problem: 1. I can use the "add_line" function, and do
not use the "apply_boundary_values" function; or 2 . I can directly modify
"std::map<types::global_dof_index, double> boundary_values" and use the
"apply_boundary_values" function.

*I wonder if the above two ways are the same in dealii's internal
implemenation?*

Furthermore, it is amazing to receive your reply! I have seen most of your
lectures on dealii on youtube. These lectures are very very helpful!

Thanks very much.

Best,
Pai