Justin,
I can't see the types of the objects you are sending or receiving in your code
snippet, so I can't tell for example what is in tot_recv_cells or recv_cells.
But regardless:

> Okay, so in the above snippet of code I am sending faces that are on an
> overset boundary (these are just unsigned ints so sending these are easy) but
> I also need to send the corresponding cell for that face for when I go to
> compute mesh coupling entries for my system_matrix.

That's not going to work. Different processors will refer to the same cell or
face with different iterators. That's because iterators store pointers to the
triangulation, and these pointers will have different values on different
processors. (Iterators also store two indices to identify each cell, and these
indices will *also* be different on different processors for the same global
cell.)

What you want to do is compute a globally unique id for each cell and send
that around. Take a look at the CellId class!