You can use this

https://dealii.org/developer/doxygen/deal.II/structGridOutFlags_1_1Vtu.html
<https://dealii.org/developer/doxygen/deal.II/structGridOutFlags_1_1Vtu.html>
https://dealii.org/developer/doxygen/deal.II/structDataOutBase_1_1VtkFlags.html
<https://dealii.org/developer/doxygen/deal.II/structDataOutBase_1_1VtkFlags.html>

to set solution time.

Here is an example from my code

https://github.com/cpraveen/dflo/blob/master/src_mpi/output.cc#L66

To visualize boundary faces, VisIt has an option to make use of material id of
cells and faces, which allows you to view subset of the data, e.g., plot only
faces with material id = 100. You must save material id into vtk/vtu file and
then use that in VisIt. I have never done this through deal.II but maybe there
is a better way to do it in deal.II which I am not aware of.

Best
praveen