Hi,

I have a solution vector with locally owned and locally relevant dofs. I
want to compute its L2-norm. Using the l2_norm() on it caused a Trilinos
error (I was going to compute the squared of the L2 norm, then do an MPI
Allreduce on the resulting values).

So, I decided to code it "by hand" as follows:

double norm_squared = 0.;
const unsigned int start_ = (dist_solution.local_range().first), end_ =
(dist_solution.local_range().second);

for (unsigned int i = start_; i < end_; ++i)
   norm_squared += std::pow(dist_solution(i),2);

double norm_global =0.;
MPI_Allreduce(&norm_squared, &norm_global, 1, MPI_DOUBLE, MPI_SUM,
mpi_communicator);
norm_global = std::sqrt(norm_global);

Even though this works, I was wondering if there is a better way to do
this?

Cheers,
--jean