On Thursday, 7 March 2019 23:35:15 UTC-5, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:

> On 3/7/19 7:45 AM, Bruno Blais wrote:
> >
> > However, my GMRES stops very quickly after a certain number of newton
> > iteration with the following :     AztecOO::Iterate error code -4: GMRES
> > Hessenberg ill-conditioned
>
> This is surprising and suggests that something is wrong with the matrix,
> not
> the right hand side. At least that's what I think this probably means. Did
> you
> have the same error when you did not modify the right hand side? What
> happens
> if you just artificially create a right hand side that you know is in the
> range, for example by picking a random vector and multiplying it by the
> matrix?

I did not have the same error when I did not modify the RHS. Which I also
find very surprising.
I also found that I did not get the same error if I modify the RHS, but
that I also modify the Newton correction (if I project my newton correction
such that corr = corr - P*corr)
I will look at what you suggested, that's an extremely good idea, and get
back at you.
Thanks!