On 5/2/19 7:26 PM, Doug wrote:

> Based on this, I assume that FEValues, which takes a FiniteElement and a
> Mapping, uses them to evaluate the Jacobian field instead of using a bilinear
> mapping as the documentation of Mapping suggests. So FE_DGP would only be
> able
> to parametrize the cell geometry with the polynomial space {1, x, y} instead
> of {1, x, y, xy}.

No, that's not correct. The *element* may only have 3 basis functions, but the
mapping is still bilinear (with four basis functions). These two aspects are
separate -- in fact, the mapping never knows anything about the element anyway.

What this means is that on cells that are not parallelograms, the *mapped*
basis functions may not be linear. You can probably try this out easily if you
just do a single cell that's not a parallelogram, output a solution vector
with one 1 and the rest all zeros, and use DataOut::build_patches(N) with a
sufficiently large N.

> The documentation of FE_DGP does mention similar to this, but I thought this
> only applied to the solution, not the geometric mapping. I would expect the
> geometric mapping to always use a tensor product basis in order to be able to
> represent any straight-sided quads, especially since deal.II only handles
> quads.

Yes, and it does.

> Since the FEValues seems to evaluate Jacobian based on the provided
> FiniteElement, FE_DGP is basically useless since it can only handle truly
> linear elements.

I don't know if that's true (that it's useless), but it's worth keeping the
Jacobian of the mapping and the Jacobians of the shape functions separate --
they're not the same.

Best
  Wolfgang