Hello again,

I am now looking into adding vector-valued equations to my current
framework. The goal will be to do some hp-adaptive Navier-Stokes flow
simulation using Discontinuous Galerkin. I have read "Handling vector
valued problems", went through most of the vector-valued examples, and saw
lecture 19 and 20 from Prof. Bangerth. The common denominator seems to be:
use FESystem to combine multiple FiniteElement together.

However, I will not need to use mixed finite elements, and therefore, my
FiniteElement will always be the same for all components of the solution
for a given cell. As a result, I would expand my vector solution as a
linear combination of vector-valued coefficients (degrees of freedom), and
scalar trial functions. As for the trial function, the vector trial
function can be taken "component-wise" as explained in step-8. Basically,
Eq. 7-9 of Bassi and Rebay's paper show how I would only need scalar basis
functions defined by a single FiniteElement

Bassi, F., and Rebay, S., “High-order accurate discontinuous finite element
solution of the 2D Euler equations,” *Journal of Computational Physics*,
vol. 138, 1997, pp. 251–285.

Therefore, it doesn't seem like I would need a FESystem. If anything, the
FESystem makes the code more complex and less readable in my case, since
each entry of the vector-valued bases would just be copies of each other.

Is the use of FESystem somehow simplifying my code in any aspect?
The two main things I can think of is

   - Easy access to the "global solution vector" index through the
   DoFHandler and its re-ordering functions.
   - Performing operator-like operations on similar equations (e.g. 3
   momentum equations)

Am I missing something?

Thank you again for your time. Hoping I can get up to speed to contribute
back in the future.

Best regards,

Doug