MIchaĺ,

The documentation in the developer version or the current version (
https://www.dealii.org/developer/doxygen/deal.II/classPreconditionChebyshev.html)
says:
"[...] Note that if the degree variable is set to one, the Chebyshev
iteration corresponds to a Jacobi preconditioner (or the underlying
preconditioner type) with relaxation parameter according to the specified
smoothing range. [...]"
and the assertion is at line 2211 only in the developer version. The text
you are referring to can be found in version 9.0.0.

Best,
Daniel