Oleg,

The first thing to do if you want to speed up you code is to profile your
code. How do you know which part of the code is slow? Right now, it sounds
that you are assuming that it is in the solver which may be true but it may
not be. If you want to speed up your solver, you can 1) get a better
preconditioner (maybe using algebraic multigrid) 2) make you code parallel.
deal.II is multithreaded by default but not every operation is. On top of
that multithreading does not work if the processors need to communicate
through the network (which might be the case on the cluster you are
testing). In that case, you will need to use MPI. Take a look at step-40
<https://dealii.org/current/doxygen/deal.II/step_40.html#LaplaceProblemsolve>
It solves the Laplace equation with 52 millions DoFs in less than 10
seconds on 4000 processors.

Best

Bruno