From: dealii@googlegroups.com <dealii@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Bruno
Blais <blais.br...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 9:53 PM
To: deal.II User Group <dealii@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [deal.II] discontinous contour over elements

Dear David,
How are you calculating the vorticity?
As Wolfgang and Praveen have mentioned, if you are using the DataPostProcessor,
then this will use your shape functions to calculate the vorticity. However,
your P2-P1 elements are only C0 continuous. Consequently, your vorticity can
possibly be inherently discontinuous at the element edges. However, I am
surprised that you obtain such strong discontinuity. In our code based on
deal.ii (https://github.com/lethe-cfd/lethe) we implement stabilized
formulations for the NS equations and the vorticity results for such cases are
very smooth (even when represented using discontinuous shape functions.

Have you established the convergence of your code using manufactured solution?
This is the first thing I would suggest. You can look at the applications_tests
of lethe for some examples of easy manufactured solutions for the
Incompressible Navier-Stokes equations. There are also common books that treat
this issue (for instance :
https://www.amazon.ca/Verification-Validation-Scientific-Computing-Oberkampf/dp/0521113601)

Please feel free to reach out if you have more questions.
Best
Bruno