Professor Bangerth -

Thank you for your reply, however, I just seemed to have solved my problem.
I had a block system with one vector valued field and one scalar valued
field. When I extract the constant modes for the vector valued field it is
very fast (using the vector component mask). However, the same operation
for the scalar valued field does not perform quickly. I see that simply
omitting this step for the scalar valued field has almost no effect on the
solution of the scalar valued problem. Therefore I no longer have any issue
:)

Thank you again for your reply and sorry for taking your time.
Jonathan