I am slightly confused by the use of open vs closed interval for denoting
the time-interval of the heat equation.

For example in lecture 27
(https://www.math.colostate.edu/~bangerth/videos.676.27.html), both the
video lecture and the slides seem to convey that the PDE holds for the
closed interval [0,t]. However, the step-26 tutorial page denotes the same
pde as being valid only in the open interval (0,t).

I acknowledge that this is a technical subtlety and may not change the
results or code, but which one is more mathematically correct
(closed-interval or open-interval)?

Regards,
Krishna