I downloaded the source code for deal.II in Ubuntu, which contains the
example files. (I'm a beginner.) I noted, however, that a binary is
available for Ubuntu (18.04) and installed that, instead of compiling the
library. Then I attempted to run step-1.cc from the source code package,
after determining that the library was in /usr/include:

(base) robert@robert-desktop:~/deal/dealii-9.1.1/examples/step-1$ cmake
-DDEAL_II_DIR=/usr/include/deal.II .
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:30 (MESSAGE):

  *** Could not locate a (sufficiently recent) version of deal.II.  ***

  You may want to either pass a flag -DDEAL_II_DIR=/path/to/deal.II to cmake

  or set an environment variable "DEAL_II_DIR" that contains this path.

It's not clear to me why this doesn't work, but it doesn't work that way on
Debian either. Any advice would be appreciated.