Sorry for the second post---it might also be worth noting that

unsigned int part = 0;
for( auto iter=particleHandler.begin(); iter!=particleHandler.end();
++iter, ++part ) {
  std::vector<double> quantities(ncomponents);
  for( unsigned int i=0; i<ncomponents; ++i ) {
    quantities[i] = interpolatedParticleQuantities[part*ncomponents + i];
  }

  iter->set_properties(quantities);
}

results in this exceptions:

The violated condition was:

    property_pool != nullptr

Additional information:

    This exception -- which is used in many places in the library --
usually indicates that some condition which the author of the code thought
must be satisfied at a certain point in an algorithm, is not fulfilled. An
example would be that the first part of an algorithm sorts elements of an
array in ascending order, and a second part of the algorithm later
encounters an element that is not larger than the previous one.

There is usually not very much you can do if you encounter such an
exception since it indicates an error in deal.II, not in your own program.
Try to come up with the smallest possible program that still demonstrates
the error and contact the deal.II mailing lists with it to obtain help.