Hello everyone,

I'm trying to solve a 2D solid mechanics homogenization problem, in which I
have element-wise constant elastic properties, which are inhomogeneous and
isotropic from element to element (i.e., I am assembling the system using
the same 4-rank stiffness tensor for all the quadrature points of a certain
element, but that tensor is different for each element). For this system, I
would like to compute its effective elastic properties, which I do by
standard homogenization approaches. The system should behave as an
isotropic solid. However, I observe significant anisotropy (and clearly not
due to random fluctuations that might arise because the element-to-element
inhomogeneous properties are randomly distributed). I attribute this to a
mesh dependency of the solution, since I have solved the same problem with
a unstructured triangular mesh with another FEM package and I don't observe
this issue. I believe the structured quadrilateral mesh induces some
artificial elastic anisotropy, which is not there in the case of the
unstructured triangular mesh due to its topological disorder.

I've thought of a way that might palliate this issue, which is to set
different elastic properties at the quadrature points themselves (i.e., the
properties are no longer element-wise constant). This seems to work to some
extent since the system becomes less anisotropic, however it is not good
enough.

*Q1:* is there a preferred way in dealII in which I could randomly distort
a bit the location of the quadrature points? I think this extra distortion
might help get rid of the mesh artifacts. Is is possible to do it with the
in-built Lagrange linear FE or another type of FE is more suitable within
dealII for this task? Basically I have no idea where to start from to do
something like this, so any suggestion is welcome.

*Q2:* why the system behaves as anisotropic if its local inhomogeneous
elastic properties are isotropic? If you have any comment or suggestion
about the problem of mesh-induced elastic anistropy in FEM, I would like to
know it.

Thanks in advance,
David.