On 7/27/20 2:47 PM, Jimmy Ho wrote:

data_out.add_data_vector( cellData , "Name" , data_out.type_cell_data );

to force deal.ii to recognize that "cellData" should be interpreted as a cell-based data. When I read the vtu files generated by this program via ParaView, I found that although cellData looks like it is cell-based in the visualization (i.e., it is discontinuous over the cells), the data array itself is stored as a point array, so I couldn't use the Cell_Data_to_Point_Data filter to get a smoothed and continuous visualization. So, is there a way to write a cell-based data into cell arrays in vtu files?

No, all data produced by DataOut is point data. For cell-wise constants, it is just written in a way that makes point data look piecewise constant.

You will have to find a different way to achieve what that filter does. What does it do? Maybe we can suggest a way to achieve the same from within deal.II.