Hi Behrooz,

To complement Simon’s suggestion, I can think of two more ways to achieve what
you’re wanting but will affect the mesh itself. Whether or the second
suggestion is a reasonable approach for you depends on the complexity of the
geometry that you’re creating.
1. Use an external mesh generator. Generating disconnected regions in the
domain is normally a near trivial thing to do with these tools.
2. You can use the deal.II mesh tools to create a mesh that has a obvious
physical disconnect between the surfaces of interest. Maybe you’d do this by
creating the coarse triangulation by hand, or two triangulations that you
"merge together
<https://www.dealii.org/current/doxygen/deal.II/namespaceGridGenerator.html#a7cd88e7eacd46697dee80ad2b8438d54>"
 (watch for the merge tolerance, which defines how close vertices must be to
one another to be considered coincident). You can then use the mesh movement
functions (see step-49
<https://www.dealii.org/current/doxygen/deal.II/step_49.html#ModifyingaMesh>)
to move the grid such that you make the surfaces that you want coincident. When
you move the mesh, the cell connectivity remains as is and so you’ll end up
with two boundaries at this interface with no connection between the two.

Best,
Jean-Paul