Dear David, dear all,

It seems like the issue is much more involved than I initially thought.
Some updates since I started going into this issue
<https://github.com/dealii/dealii/issues/7970>.

1. I could solve the problem for lowest order RaviartThomas Elements (RT).
This is already good.

2. The fix does not work for lowest order BDM elements.

3. The fix does not work for higher order elements, neither BDM nor RT
elements
Suspected reason: For shape functions of higher order elements (whose
normal components) are supported on a face flipping the sign on a flipped
face is not enough since the flipped face changes/reverts the ordering of
the face dofs hence the translation of local to global numbering of degrees
of freedom changes for cells with flipped faces. I am not sure but at least
I suspect that. Is this being taken care of by Deal.II somewhere?

I will go on chasing the bug and hopefully come up with a merge request
soon.

Best,
Konrad