The problem here is that the solution is not continuous across the face of a FE_Q and a FE_Nothing element. If a FE_Nothing is turned into a FE_Q element, the solution is suddenly expected to be continuous, and we have no rule in deal.II yet how to continue in the situation. In my opinion, we should throw an assertion in this case.

Denis actually thought of that already a while back. It wasn't well documented, but see here now:
https://github.com/dealii/dealii/pull/11430

Does that also address what you wanted to do in your patch?