Thank you, Wolfgang. The explanation was clear as usual, I understood the
principle but overlooked the DoFTools class. This is now set.
Unfortunately, it seems that it does not solve my issue and I guess I
figured out why.

In brief, I am building an
interface matrix and an interface rhs in the very same way cell matrix and
cell rhs have been built in step 18 - as depicted already (I won't repeat
it here).

Issues arise when I attempt at distributing the matrices into system
matrix:  I coded this

      local_interface_dof_indices = fiv.get_interface_dof_indices() ;

this->hanging_node_constraints.distribute_local_to_global(interface_matrix,
interface_rhs,  local_interface_dof_indices, this->system_matrix,
this->system_rhs);
using the very same hanging_node_constraints I used for the usual continuum
elements.
This last statement causes an error FOR TRILINOS (AND NOT FOR PETSc, which
works OK).

According to your remark "make_flux_sparsity_pattern() also adds entries
for DoFs i,j that are located
on cells that are face neighbors of each other" the error may arise because
in defining the interfaces I am:
1 - duplicating the nodes in order to separate the initial triangulation
into two
2 - building a new data structure that provide connectivity for the dofs of
the separated elements, exploiting the class FEInterfaceValues
I wonder if by doing so, the notion of "cells that are face neighbors of
each other" may not apply anymore and hence, as you suspected, I am
computing terms for the interface matrix
that are not part of the sparsity pattern of the Trilinos matrix.

If this is correct, do you see a way to circumvent the TRILINOS problem I
am facing?

Thank you,
Alberto

*Alberto Salvadori* Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica e Industriale
(DIMI)
 Universita` di Brescia, via Branze 43, 25123 Brescia
 Italy
 tel 030 3715426

e-mail:
 alberto.salvad...@unibs.it