On 5/2/21 10:41 AM, Abbas Ballout wrote:

I print out the sparsity pattern and there seems to be a difference between applying BCs and not applying them which makes me conclude that project_boundary_values_curl_conforming_l2 is effecting the matrix. I printed out the global right hand side for a smaller problem and the second half of it, which is the half that is related to the second problem, is just zeros so my guess is that constraints.distribute_local_to_global(cell_matrix, cell_rhs, local_dof_indices, system_matrix, system_rhs) isn't applying the BC in the cell_rhs when FENedelec systems are involved.

These functions should not affect the sparsity pattern, but only the matrix. Indeed, they don't consider the matrix themselves, but only build the constraints.

It is entirely possible that the function you are calling has a bug, but before we conclude this, I would suggest that you output the constraints each of the four calls you have in your code generates. After all, this is what this function produces, and you should verify that these are correct -- maybe using a mesh that only consists of one cell for which you can verify correctness.