Hello,

I finally managed to get everything compiled and running. To solve the last
issue, I started completely fresh with trilinos, and it no longer tried to
find the static version of sacado. I think there must have been something
leftover in the cmake files in the installation of trilinos from a previous
build without the build shared libraries option in trilinos configuration.

To summarize the more generalizable issues from this:

- If there are issues when including trilinos in the build, consider
compiling trilinos with MPI to ensure it will have the same MPI version as
deal.ii
- If there are weird MPI issues with not finding header files, make sure
that MPI was set on the first call of cmake (as I think one thing that
happened here was I changed it later and the compiler did not get updated
to the proper mpi wrapper, or at least I noticed this when compiling
trilinos)
- If you are running on a cluster system with loadable modules, make sure
things are properly loaded (and or unloaded) before running cmake. This
could be especially relevant when there are multiple MPI implementations
present
- Check whether the cmake variables are what you think they are (e.g.,
check uppercase vs lower case)

I never did get deal.ii to compile when including tpetra, but since I
didn't need it I didn't attempt again with the other issues solved, so I
can't say too much more about that.

One thing that is still unclear to me: is it possible to compile trilinos
and deal.ii without MPI? It seemed here that there are wrapper classes that
trilinos will only compile if MPI is enabled? If this is true, perhaps that
should be included on this this page
<https://www.dealii.org/9.1.1/external-libs/trilinos.html>?

Thanks to everyone that helped!

Best,