Richard,

On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 9:58:07 AM UTC-4 richard....@gmail.com wrote:

> a) which (free) profiling tools can you recommend? I watched the video
> lecture of Wolfgang about that topic, but was looking for more opinions! I
> want to see which parts of the code take time apart from the (already
> detailed) TimerOutput.

I use two tools: Caliper (https://software.llnl.gov/Caliper/) and
HPCToolkit (http://hpctoolkit.org/). These tools have different goals.
Caliper is basically a much more powerful version of TimerOutput. You add
Caliper to your code and you have access to different profiling measures
and connectors to other profiling tools. The advantage of Caliper is that
you can use it in your code and then monitor the performance over time. It
is very easy to use and the Caliper annotation in your code can be used by
VTune and NVidia NSight.  HPCToolkit on the other hand is a more
traditional profiling tool. You use it to find the bottlenecks in your
code. I really like that it is non-invasive. Unlike Caliper, you don't need
to change anything in your code. I've used it to profile code on small
cluster but it also works on some of the largest supercomputers at the DOE.

Best,

Bruno