Yeah I expected this...
I would not know how to do this either. It would require that every
manifold has some sort of "center of mass" variable that would be used to
define the centroid of the manifold, but that would be some pretty heavy
stuff to refactor and I am not sure it would lead to a cleaner design.

You are right that this is already very well documented in the
GridTools::transform() documentation :). I need to learn to read the
documentation a bit more before asking :)