Dear Truong,

To supplement Bruno’s remarks, and answer this question in particular:

>  I guess a procedure like associating the surface boundaries (from meshing
> software) to the manifolds would also only works for meshing refinement, not
> for mesh coarsening.

It would work for mesh coarsening as well, but only up to the coarsest mesh
that is read into deal.II. So if you do some initial refinement within deal.II
itself, then both refinement and subsequent coarsening respect the attached
manifold geometries.

The point to be understood is that deal.II does not, and cannot, have any more
fundamental knowledge of the discretisation other than what you pass it in the
original mesh. It does not know the steps that you took to get that mesh — the
underlying CAD geometry, whether the mesh is cartesian or structured, has an
even or odd number of divisions on each edge, etc. All of this information,
which would be critical to determine how the mesh might be coarsened using the
child-parent cell approach to adaptivity that deal.II adopts. So one always
needs to consider a read in mesh to be “flattened”, i.e. at its coarsest state,
and the benefits of mesh adaptivity may then be maximised when the read in grid
is as coarse as possible and one is able to produce a satisfactorily refined
mesh using the built in refinement tools (and possibly connecting the mesh to a
CAD model or manifold geometries to provide information of boundary and
interface curvature).

Best,
Jean-Paul