Drs. Bruno and Wolfgang,
*Actually what Wolfgang is suggesting is very doable. We have wrappers for
the ArborX
library
https://dealii.org/current/doxygen/deal.II/classArborXWrappers_1_1BVH.html
<https://dealii.org/current/doxygen/deal.II/classArborXWrappers_1_1BVH.html>
which
allows you to find the nearest neighbor between two point clouds very
efficiently. You should be able to find the closest vertex on the boundary
for 100,000 points in a couple of seconds on the CPU and for several
millions of points if you are using a GPU. Right now we only have wrappers
for the serial version of ArborX but I have actually started to work on the
wrappers for distributed tree. When it's done, you will be able to get the
nearest neighbor even if they are on different processors.*
That would be great! I think it would be very useful for applications like
turbulent flows where this information is required.

*The best methods for the eikonal equation are all in the class of
"fastmarching method". It has its own wikipedia
page:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_marching_method
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_marching_method>*
Thank you very much!