Hermes,

For large systems, Krylov solvers are faster and require less memory
than direct solvers. Direct solvers scale poorly, in terms of memory
and performance, with the number of unknowns. The only problem with
Krylov solvers is that you need to use a good preconditioner. The
choice of the preconditioner depends on the system that you want to
solve.

Best,

Bruno