Dear Johanna,

What you describe here makes sense. Such a transformation is described at this link <https://www.brown.edu/Departments/Engineering/Courses/En221/Notes/Polar_Coords/Polar_Coords.htm> (see section 2.7 "Converting tensors between Cartesian and Spherical-Polar bases". I think that the circumferential stress would then be S_{\theta \theta}, according to their notation). Its just that (in general) your rotation matrix would have to change for each evaluation point, as the radius and angle with respect to the axis would change.

We have a couple of functions already implemented that might help you to achieve this:

 * Rotation matrices (2d,3d):

https://dealii.org/current/doxygen/deal.II/namespacePhysics_1_1Transformations_1_1Rotations.html#a68bba56f6c1ebfbb52f871996df965ae
 * Basis transformation:

https://dealii.org/current/doxygen/deal.II/namespacePhysics_1_1Transformations.html#a626b00a6e08a79449cbf120cb3e81fdb