Hi Matthew,

I'm glad that you find step-44 to be a useful tutorial! Let me try to answer your questions directly.

   /My first question deals with the statement "The Euler-Lagrange
   equations corresponding to the residual"/
   /
   /
   /Directly above this sentence is the residual, whose derivation I
   understand. Where I am lost is that s tact on to equations. I
   have//only one residual equation. I cannot bridge that disconnect. /

This is just another way of saying that the three equations listed there (these E-L equations) are the strong form of the governing equations. Basically, if you take each of these equations (along the way, modifying the definition of the stress in the equilibrium equation), test them with the appropriate test function and sum up the three residual contributions then you recover the (total) residual, or stationary point of the residual, that is listed above. The point is that it not necessarily so straight forward to go from the strong form to the weak form for this mixed formulation, so identifying the conservation equations a-postori is a helpful sanity check here. They seem to align with what we're trying to do here.

   /I am completely lost here. What is the significance of p and J not
   having derivatives on them that makes it "easy" to solve for those
   terms in isolation?
   /

Well, that's a valid point. I can't quite recall what exactly we were trying to identify with this comment. I'll think about it, as that seems to be a point that we could improve on in the documentation. That there is no K_{pp} contribution is significant, because it makes condensing out the p and J fields easier. Maybe we meant to refer to the lack of contribution to K_{pp} (as there is no second derivative involving a variation and linearisation of p.

   /I am also confused how K_pJ, K_Jp and K_JJ  form a block diagonal
   matrix. I could get there if I ignore the top row but then the
   equations below do not make sense I think. Some detail on this part
   of the process would be great. /

So this is more easy to explain. We specifically choose discontinuous shape function to discretise these fields. As there are no interface/flux contributions, all local element contributions for these terms will remain local and you therefore end up with an assembled matrix for these contributions that has a block-like structure. The K_{JJ} matrix is evidently block-diagonal, as it is a field that couples with itself. As for the coupling matrices K_{pJ} and K_{Jp}, they are block-diagonal because we chose *exactly* the same discretisation for both fields (i.e. the shape functions and polynomial order match).

Does that make sense?

Best,

Jean-Paul