" It's an environment variable. "

I did
$DEAL_II_NUM_THREADS
and the variable is not set.
But if it were set to one, why would this explain the gap between cpu and
wall time?

" My point is the constructor should not be called millions of times. You
are not going to be able to get that function 100 times faster. It's best
to find a way to call it less often. "

What I want to do boils down to the following:
Given the reference co-ordinates of a point 'p', along with the cell on
which 'p' lives,
give me the value and gradient of a finite element function evaluated at
'p'.

My idea was to create a quadrature object with 'p' being the only
quadrature point and pass this
quadrature object to the FEValues object and finally do the .reinit(cell)
call (then, of course, get_function_values()...)
'p' is different for all (2.5 million) quadrature points, which is why I
create the FEValues object so many times.

Do you a different suggestion to solve my problem, ie to evaluate the
finite element field and its derivatives at 'p'?

Best,
Simon