If you get stuck you can set the material ID manually after importing it
with something like:

Point<dim> p ;
for (const auto &cell : triangulation.active_cell_iterators())
  {p=cell->center() ;
   if(sqrt(p[0]^2+p[1]^2)<r)
     cell->set_material_id(1) ;
else
    cell->set_material_id(2) ;
   }

It's a cheat and might be a bad idea if your geometry gets complicated
though.