Thanks. That was too easy. How should one know this...
Actually in the documentation
(https://www.dealii.org/current/doxygen/deal.II/classDataPostprocessorTensor.html)

the command

data_out.write_vtk (output);

appears in the example. Maybe it should be changed to

data_out.write_vtu (output);

Furthermore, may I suggest, that it might be of some value to add the data
output of stresses to one of the elasticity tutorials (maybe add it to
step-8), since evaluating stresses (especially von mises stresses) is one
of the major tasks in "pure" solid mechanics plus there is this pitfall
that we have to use the vtu-format for tensor data.

But thanks anyway for the quick response (again).

Best regards
Konrad